The FZ6R has a special ambience that makes you feel comfortable the minute you swing a leg over the seat. It is a sports bike that does not make any earth shattering claims; just a bike that will leave you smiling after each and every ride. Perhaps you are just getting started in motorcycling or have been around long enough to recognize that fun is not always determined by engine size or horsepower.
Power: Ultra-compact, 600cc, liquid-cooled, DOHC, 16-valve, slant block in-line four powerplant. This engine has been specially tuned for ease of riding with very linear power characteristics.
Performance: Lightweight hollow camshafts provide excellent torque in the low and mid rpm range and also help to achieve linear throttle control. Fuel economy is also optimized.
Handling: "Diamond-type", high tensile tube steel frame is used. The main frame tubes are 31.5mm in diameter and feature a minimum of welds and bends. Rigidity around the steering head and swingarm pivot has been optimized for excellent handling and stability.
- Compact, 600cc, liquid-cooled, DOHC, 4-valve, slant block in-line four power plant. This engine has been specially tuned for ease of riding with very linear, easy to control power characteristics.
- 4-valve cylinder head: 25 mm intake & 22 mm exhaust valves; special narrow intake port shape increases air velocity for very linear throttle response
- Valve adjustment intervals are every 42,000 kms.
- Lightweight hollow camshafts: cam profiles are designed for strong yet user friendly power delivery & good fuel economy
- Automatic hydraulic-type cam chain tensioner: reduces mechanical engine noise & maintenance
- One-piece cylinder & upper crankcase assembly: superior engine & chassis rigidity (engine is a stressed member); reduces weight
- Ceramic composite plated cylinder uses "liner less" bores: ceramic coating sprayed directly on the aluminum block, eliminating the liner & reducing weight; excellent heat dissipation for consistent power delivery; coating enhances the thin film of oil between the cylinder & piston, reducing friction & increasing power
- Lightweight forged pistons connected to carburized connecting rods: carburization is a type of heat treating that improves hardness & durability; provides superior strength & durability; reduces reciprocating mass for crisp throttle response
- "Group-Type" Mikuni 32mm throttle body fuel injection with 4-hole / 2-direction spray pattern injectors: fuel injection benefits include choke-free starting, steady idling during warm up, excellent fuel economy & reduced emissions; system has been "tuned" to provide excellent "ride ability" with "linear" throttle control
- Compact 32 bit ECU controls the ignition and fuel injection processes.
- Crankcases feature a "Tri-Axis" layout for the crank, main and drive axles: creates a more compact & shorter engine front to back; shorter engine allows for optimum engine placement in the "sweet spot" of frame for desired weight distribution & great handling
- 6-speed transmission & wet clutch with inner push type clutch mechanism: gear ratios are matched to engine ouput; smooth, positive shifting; light, smooth clutch lever action
- High capacity radiator with ring-type cooling fan insures maximum cooling efficiency.
- Liquid cooled oil cooler maintains consistent oil temperatures for extended engine & lubricant life.
- Convenient spin-on type oil filter & easy access drain plug for fast easy oil changes.
- Compact 4 into 2 into 1 "midship" style exhaust system with 3-way catalytic converter: mid ship design centralizes mass & maintains a low centre of gravity for light, easy handling; catalytic converter reduces exhaust emissions
- Maintenance-free transistor controlled ignition (TCI): produces a strong spark for fast starts; provides precise ignition timing / mapping for optimum engine performance at all rpms
- Air Induction System (AIS)... not ram air... further reduces harmful exhaust emissions.
- "Diamond-type", high tensile steel frame: main frame tubes are 31.5mm in diameter & feature a minimum of welds & bends; optimized rigidity balance for excellent handling, stability & comfort
- Frame design provides one of the lowest seat heights (785mm / 30.1") in the 600 sports class: mass centralization & weight balance provide excellent rider confidence
- Box section steel swingarm
- Detachable steel rear sub frame reduces costs in the event of damage.
- Conventional 41mm cartridge style fork with 130 mm (5.1") of travel: good suspension performance & comfort; plastic protectors help prevent fork tube & seal damage due to stone chips.
- Adjustable, "link- less" rear suspension with 130 mm (5.1") of wheel travel: shock features 7-way spring pre-load adjustability; link-less design means rear shock mounts directly to the frame & swingarm without linkages; rear suspension designed to provide a rising rate feeling without extra weight of links & arms
- Dual 298mm floating front disc brakes squeezed by twin piston calipers: braking performance is progressive with good lever feel & feedback
- 245mm rear disc brake with single piston caliper provides excellent stopping power.
- Full fairing offers good wind & weather protection & style: inner panel around the instrument area provides a clean, quality image for the "cockpit"
- 17 litre (3.7 Imp. gal.) fuel tank provides an excellent riding range between fill ups.
- Lightweight 5-spoke mag wheels are fitted with Z rated radial tires: lightweight design reduces unsprung weight for good suspension performance & light, agile handling
- Adjustable 2-piece rider & passenger seat design offers excellent comfort: seat height on the rider seat is adjustable... standard position is a low 785mm ( 30.9"); rider seat height can be increased by 20 mm (.75") if desired (tools required)
- Adjustable, traditional handlebar: offers a comfortable, upright riding position; bars can be adjusted 20mm (0.75") forward by rotating the eccentric handlebar mounts; traditional design allows easy replacement to a different "bend" if desired
- Compact, multi-function instrument assembly: features include; analog tach, digital speedo, dual trip meters, clock, fuel gauge, fuel reserve trip meter (counts kilometers since low fuel light illuminated), coolant temp, & a self -diagnostic mode; various warning lights
- Bright, stylish, 60/55 watt halogen headlight.
- 5-position adjustable front brake lever
- Passenger grab rails
- 520 size "O" ring chain
- Helmet holder cable
- Steering lock
- Folding mirrors
- Low maintenance, sealed battery (battery should be charged during winter storage)
- Engine: Liquid-cooled, DOHC, 16-valves (4-valves/cyl) , in-line four
- Displacement: 600cc
- Bore and Stroke: 65.5 x 44.5mm
- Compression Ratio: 12.2:1
- Maximum Torque: 6.1 kg-m (44.1 ft-lb) @ 8,500 rpm
- Fuel Delivery: Mikuni 32mm throttle body FI
- Estimated Fuel Consumption±: 18.2 kpl/ 51.4 mpg (Imp.)
- Lubrication: Wet sump
- Ignition / Starting: TCI / Electric
- Transmission: 6-speed
- Final Drive: O ring chain
- Suspension (Front): 41mm fork / 130mm (5.1 in.) wheel travel
- Suspension (Rear): Adjustable Monocross / 130mm (5.1 in.) wheel travel
- Brakes (Front): Dual 298mm discs / twin piston calipers
- Brakes (Rear): 245mm disc / single piston caliper
- Tires (Front): 120/70ZR17
- Tires (Rear): 160/60ZR17
- Length: 2,120mm (83.5 in.)
- Width: 770mm (30.3 in.)
- Height: 1,185mm (46.7 in.)
- Wheelbase: 1,440mm (56.7 in.)
- Rake / Trail: 26 deg. / 103mm (4.1 in.)
- Ground Clearance: 140mm (5.5 in.)
- Seat Height: 785mm (30.9 in.) or 805 (31.7 in.)
- Fuel Capacity: 17 L (3.7 Imp. gal.)
- Wet Weight: 212kg (467 lb.)
- Colour(s): Matte Silver
Every attempt has been made to showcase Canadian versions of our products, but all images, information and specifications may not be exact and are subject to change without notice. Some models may be shown with optional accessories.
Fuel economy estimates are based on US EPA exhaust emission certification data obtained by Yamaha and converted into Canadian measurements. Your actual mileage will vary depending on road condition, how you ride, maintain your vehicle, accessories, cargo and operator/passenger weight.